Nx Witness provides the option to receive HTTP generic events, which is a standard HTTP request to the Nx Server from any 3rd party software solution and/or Nx Witness itself. The Nx Witness Server API provides a standard set of API calls for 3rd party systems and/or Nx Witness itself.
With the Nx Witness Server API it is possible to send Nx Witness events using a standard API call in the form of an HTTP string - also known as a Generic Event (i.e. the CreateEvent API call).
This means you can enable integration with any application that is able to send the HTTP event to trigger any action in Nx Witness. Using this method, it also possible to create snapshots of any specified event. This article will describe how you can add a snapshot of an event to an email as an action.
Create Event Rules to Receive Snapshots from Cameras via Email
Let's create a hypothetical use case: a sensor is triggered anytime a person walks into a confidential bank vault and a signal input will send to an I/O device. We want to receive an email with a snapshot of the camera(s) capturing that person’s arrival at the vault.
This can be accomplished by creating two Event Rules in Nx Witness. If everything is configured correctly, you will receive an Email Notification that looks like this once the Event Rule is triggered:
Create the First Event Rule
- Log in to Nx Desktop as a user with Administrator permissions.
- Open Main Menu > System Administration > Event Rules / Right-click on a camera and select Camera Rules.
- Clicking on the Add button to open the Event and Action dialog.
- Open the (Event) When dropdown on the left side and select the Event you want to use on the left.
- Configure the camera and other details for the Event.
- Open the (Action) Do dropdown on the right side and select the action Do HTTP Request.
- Fill in the fields for your Action.
HTTP URL example:
http://<the-server-IP-address>:<port-number>/api/createEventHTTP content: Metadata and one or more of the following: source, caption, or description. Also, you must add the relevant Camera ID(s) to the API call.
Authentication type: Auto
Request type: POST
Login: Your Nx account
Password: Your Nx account password
- Apply changes.
Create the Second Event Rule
- Click the Add button again to open the Event and Action dialog.
- Open the (Event) When dropdown on the left side and select Generic Event.
- Add the word you assigned to the source (and/or caption and/or description).
- Open the (Action) Do dropdown on the right side and select the action Send email on the right.
- Choose the proper interval of action and enter (or pick) the recipients.
- Apply changes.
If you have any questions related to this topic or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.