What OS is Nx Witness supported now?
Nx Witness is a 100% cross-platform software. It can support Windows, Linux, MAC, and ARM-based-Pi. So it covers most of the main trend and popular OS in the market.
Can I change the OS on a using system?
If you want to change the OS on a currently used system, the simplest way is migrate the configuration and database.
1. Logon the Nx Mediaserver via Nx desktop client
2. Click the Main Menu Button and navigate to System Administration, then click Create Backup...
3. Copy all the backup files and store in an external drive or storage.
4. Reinstall your system with a new OS.
5. Install proper version of Nx server and client to you system.
6. Logon the newly installed Nx Mediaserver via Nx desktop client
7. Click the Main Menu Button and navigate to System Administration, then click Restore from Backup...
Notice : This migration will discard the motion chunks (for Smart Search), Audit Log and Event Log. The logs listed above will not be migrated.
Can I change the OS on a using system and migrate all the metadata?
This is not a normal case for any users, we just list the steps to you.
Please be noticed that if you want to do the following migration, please make sure you know the risk, and consult with Nx Tech-support team first.
[From Linux to Windows as an example]
1. Stop Server
2. Fully copy the folders:
3. Copy and save all archives from all the disks (you can just legacy the HDDs and use them on new system as well)
4. Save all license keys.
5. Install proper Nx Witness of the same version on Windows.
6. After installation, please first Stop that Server. Also make sure that previous Linux Server will never online in the same network to prevent conflicts.
7. Open the file, etc/mediaserver.conf copied from the Linux server and find the parameters, serverGuid.
8. Execute regedit.exe on Windows Machine.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server
Find key guidIsHWID and set it to no.
Find key serverGuid and set it as the value you found in Linux configuration file from Step #7. Change key systemName if it's needed.
9. Open C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server, and delete all files in that folder.
10. Open the folder, var copied from previous server and copy the files to C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server
It should include:
- ecs.sqlite -- main DB
- mserver.sqlite -- DB with Audit Trail, Event Log, Bookmarks etc.
- record_catalog -- folder with motion data
- ssl -- folder with ssl certificate
11. Connect all the storage drives.
If archive was recorded to /opt/networkoptix/mediaserver/var/data, copy /opt/networkoptix/mediaserver/var/data/hi_quality and /opt/networkoptix/mediaserver/var/data/low_quality to any empty disk to folder HD Wintess Media.
12. Make sure that all HD Witness Media on each storage drives contain only hi_qiality and low_quality, all db and .ref files should be all deleted.
13. Start the Nx Server. Then logon the server via Nx desktop Client, and Rebuild archive index.
14. Old storage drives list can be seen in Storage list in the Client. Try to delete them from UI. If you can't, please, contact Nx Tech support, we will help to do it.
15. Issue a license reactivate request on Nx support portal, and provide us the new HWID. Then reactivate the licenses again to enable the recording.