Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator
Related Nx VMS Apps: All
What is the question?
As a general rule Internet-connected Nx Witness Systems will generate web traffic if any one of a System's Servers has Internet access. In the following, we will introduce the traffic detail and its purpose of a Nx Witness system.
What Nx Witness Services generate Web Traffic?
1. Public IP Address Fetching
- In order to maintain Internet connectivity, any Nx Witness Server behind a NAT needs to be assigned a Public IP address. Nx Witness' Server uses a web service to determine its own Public IP address. This happens approximately once every two minutes.
2. Time Synchronization
- In order to synchronize System time effectively, any Nx Witness Server with an active Internet connection will reach out to the Nx Time Server (a non-public, Nx-hosted time server) to synchronize time. This happens approximately once every hour.
3. Anonymous Usage and Crash Statistics
- Systems that do not disable Anonymous Usage and Crash Statistics will report back to Nx analytics servers once a month. This happens once per month.
4. Nx Cloud
- Systems that are connected to Nx Cloud will generate Internet traffic, including:
- Keep-alive Messages (to sustain connectivity between the cloud and your system)
- Adding New Users or Modifying Existing Users
- User connections, streaming to remote clients (Desktop, Mobile, Web, Cloud), etc.
How do I block all unwanted outbound traffic on a Nx Witness System?
You should contact your IT Department or network administrator to help.
They can assist you to disable the connections to the Internet or create strict firewall policies to ban all the connection inbound and outbound.
In general, if you don't want Nx to have any Internet traffic, you can suggest them that block all outbound traffic from the TCP Port (typically 7001) of your Nx Witness Servers, then you will have internal traffic only.(Intranet).