Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator
Related Nx VMS Apps: Nx Desktop
Why does this problem happen?
Nx Witness software licenses are tied to a specific Server's HWID (Hardware ID).
If you've lost your licenses there is a high probability the computer that hosts the Nx Witness Server application where the licenses were originally activated has been modified in some way.
What is a HWID?
The HWID is a unique 34-digit identifier (example:03000102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f) generated when the Nx Witness Media Server is installed on a Windows, Ubuntu Linux, or ARM device. The HWID is based on a combination of software and hardware of the computing device upon which Nx Witness is installed.
The following items are used to generate a unique HWID for each computer upon which Nx Witness is installed:
- Network Card (NIC)
After installing Nx Witness on a server any modification in the software or hardware items above will result in a change of HWID and an invalidation of licenses attached to that device.
Most Common Reasons Your HWID Changes:
1. The NIC (Network Interface Card) Configuration on your computer hardware has changed.
- Physical Change: You've replaced a bad NIC.
- Software Change: You've enabled or disabled NIC ports, causing the existing NIC to no longer be recognized.
- HWID change due to NIC Troubleshooting Guide
2. The RAM Configuration on your computer hardware has changed.
- Physical Change: You've added or removed RAM (RAM in a computer is often made up of multiple physical RAM units. If one unit of RAM fails in a multi-RAM unit setup your computer may continue to work fine, but your HWID will be affected).
3. The Motherboard configuration on your computer hardware has changed.
- Physical Change: You've had a failed motherboard and had to replace it on the computer the licenses were originally assigned to. Changing the motherboard will result in a hardware change.
4. The BIOS on your computer hardware has changed.
- Software Change: In very rare cases a Motherboard BIOS update will cause the HWID to change.
How can I resolve this issue?
- Contact our support team!