In rare cases, users may experience a Server or Client crash in Nx Witness. Typically these are isolated incidents. However, if you are facing a recurring problem take these steps:
Step 1: Find your current crash dump files
For the Server application
For the Desktop client
Note: Make sure that these dumps have the same version and build number as the software you are currently using. File names might contain words and phrases "HD_Witness.exe", "mediaserver.exe", "Nx_Witness.exe"
Step 2: Enable & produce full crash dump files
This step is optional. Skip it unless the Nx Support Team directs you to complete this step.
Crash Dump files are automatically generated memory stack files that help our developers debug situations that may be causing crashes. Simple crash dumps are generated each time the Nx Desktop or Nx Server application crashes for any reason. To fully diagnose the cause of a crash, however, Nx Developers need more detailed crash dump files - so you'll need to make some changes to the Windows registry in order to create these files. Follow the steps below to enable and produce detailed crash dump files.
- Enable detailed crash dump files:
- Open the Windows registry editor (Open Windows Command Prompt > type in "regedit")
- For the Server application, find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server
- For the Desktop client, find
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Network Optix\Network Optix HD Witness Client
- Add a new string value (Edit > New) with the name createFullCrashDump and value true
Step 3: Upload crash dumps & open a support ticket
- Upload the crash dumps to a file-sharing app (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, Sharefile)
- Submit a new support ticket and include the link to the uploaded crash dumps - and make sure we are able to access them!
What to do if the required dumps cannot be found
Sometimes Nx Witness may be unable to produce crash dump files. In this case, Windows Error Reporting Service extra configuration is required (according to this post):
- To enable and configure the feature, create the following registry values under the following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\
- Start with creating new nested registry key LocalDumps
- Left-click it and proceed with its right panel edit
- Right-click it and create Value DumpFolder (Expandable string type) with any path value you like(e.g. C:\dumps)
- Value DumpCount (DWORD type) with dumps count(e.g. 2)
- Value DumpType (DWORD type) with dumps type(set 1)
- To enable full Dump generation for specific Media Server and Client processes you need to create separate keys called "mediaserver.exe"(Server) and "HD Witness.exe"(Client) with the same value created. DumpType value should be set to 2.
- After the application is crashed dumps will be put to the DumpFolder. After at least 2 crashes upload 2 dump files to the file sharing service and share it with our support staff.
- Get a full version of the crashing software part. Without it won't be possible to analyze the dump.
- Upload generated dumps and software version information
- Remove registry changes
Note: We recommend you remove these settings after full memory dumps are archived. Otherwise full dumps might consume a lot of drive space.