In rare cases users may experience a Server or Client crash in Nx Witness. Typically these are isolated incidents. However, if you are facing a recurring problem take these steps:
Step 1: Enable & Produce Full Crash Dump files
Crash Dump files are automatically generated memory stack files which help our developers debug situations which may be causing crashes. Simple crash dumps are generated each time the Nx Desktop or Nx Server application crashes for any reason. To fully diagnose the cause of a crash, however, Nx Developers need more detailed crash dump files - so you'll need to make some changes to Windows registry in order to create these files. Follow the steps below to enable and produce detailed crash dump files.
- Find your current Crash Dump files (simple).
- For Media Server -- C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local
- For Desktop Client -- C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local
Note: Make sure that these dumps have the same version and build number as the software you are currently using. File names might contain words and phrases "HD_Witness.exe", "mediaserver.exe", "Nx_Witness.exe"
- Open the Windows registry editor(Open the Windows Command Prompt program from the Start Menu and type regedit)
- For Media Server: Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server
- For Desktop Client: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Network Optix\Network Optix HD Witness Client
- Add a new string value (Edit -> New) with name createFullCrashDump and value true
Step 2: Upload Crash Dumps & Open a Support Ticket
- Upload the crash dumps to a file sharing app (e.g. Google Drive, Dropbox, Sharefile)
- Submit a new support ticket and include the link to the uploaded crash dumps - and make sure we are able to access them!
If you are unable to find a crash dump:
In some rare case Nx Witness may be unable to produce crash dump files. In this case Windows Error Reporting Service extra configuration is required (according to this post):
- To enable and configure the feature, create the following registry values under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps key
- Value DumpFolder (Expandable string type) with any path value you like(e.g. C:\dumps)
- Value DumpCount (DWORD type) with dumps count(e.g. 2)
- Value DumpType (DWORD type) with dumps type(set 1)
- To enable full Dump collection for specific Media Server and Client processes you need to create separate keys called "mediaserver.exe"(Server) and "HD Witness.exe"(Client) with same value created. DumpType value should be set to 2.
Note! We recommend you remove these settings after full memory dumps are archived. Otherwise full dumps might consume a lot of drive space.