What is supported
Nx Witness Desktop*
Nx Witness Server*
VMs allow the existence of multiple OS environments on the same machine. As a result, multiple servers can exist on a single machine as well. They eliminate the need to purchase additional computer hardware to run new OS environments. VMs also allow the easy, fresh installation of any desired OS environment, and allow for specific configurations for each VM. VMs make it easier to deploy solutions on new environments, recreate environments/configurations and create backups. For example, you can utilize snapshots, or copies, of environments to test updates and changes without affecting the existing configurations on the original VM instance.
What are the requirements to run Nx Witness in a VM?
In order to run the Desktop client in a virtual machine (VM), you need to have OpenGL 2.1 support. A possible solution is to download the OpenGL emulation library which utilizes your CPU to render OpenGL 2.1 graphics.
For the best experience using Nx Witness in a VM environment, we recommend using VMware (Workstation Player/Pro). Installing VMware Tools and utilizing its 3D acceleration feature will allow you to use Nx Witness with minimal problems.
VMware Tools installs the VMware WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) 1.1-compliant driver. This allows for software-based 2D and 3D rendering using your CPU (on Windows 7 and up), removing the need for a compatible GPU.
For a better understanding of the performance you can expect, please review our test results below. We used a virtual machine with the following specifications:
- Windows 10 64-Bit
- 2 Cores (i7-6700HQ)
- 4GB RAM
- 60GB Storage
In our test environment, we had 24 streams actively recording and open in the layout with an average CPU utilization of 75%. It was a stable and enjoyable experience, although results may vary depending on your hardware. In general, the more resources you dedicate to the VM, the better your results will be.
How to install VMware Tools and enable 3D acceleration
- Open VMware.
- While the VM is off, select the desired VM and click Edit virtual machine settings.
- In the Hardware tab, click on Display.
- Under 3D graphics, check the box next to Accelerate 3D graphics and click Ok.
- Back in the main menu select the desired VM, open the Manage menu and click Install VMware Tools. VMware will proceed to automatically download and install VMware Tools.
Limitations w/ VMs
- Nx Witness Server will not start with log file entries such as:
2017-06-09 15:12:06.945 704 ERROR: Can't save guide. Run once as administrator.
- It may take time to initialize shared NAS devices due to delays in OS level calls. Our support team can’t assist with that. As a good practice, set up a local drive with extra space that can be used for recording until the NAS device is initialized.
- There is a small possibility that the virtual machine will incorrectly report the hardware information the server requires for generating the hardware id. It might cause license keys to not be activated in the software. If this occurs, please reach out to our support team.
- VMware Workstation Player/Pro — Windows (7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012, Server 2019) and Ubuntu (14.04, 16.04, 18.04)
- VirtualBox — Windows (7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012, Server 2019) and Ubuntu (14.04, 16.04)
- XenServer** — Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04.
**NOTE: Problems with this particular software are expected and therefore, it is not recommended for use.