Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator
Related Nx VMS Apps: Nx Server • Nx Desktop
Why do I need to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS?
With the release of Nx Witness 4.0, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is no longer supported due to its official end of life in April 2019. In order to avoid any issues, it would be best to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS before upgrading to Nx Witness 4.0. If you encounter any issues with our software after your OS upgrade is complete, you may need to reinstall Nx Witness.
How to upgrade to 16.04 LTS
- Run the Update Manager application (i.e., Software Updater) from the Unity Dash or a command line.
- If there are any updates to install click Install Updates .
- Once the updates are finished installing click Restart Now .
- Run the Update Manager application again.
- A prompt will appear notifying you that Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS is available. Click the Upgrade button to proceed with the installation.
- Enter your password and click Authenticate.
- Follow the on-screen instructions. When prompted to:
a. configure unattended-upgrades, choose keep the local version currently installed
b. delete or keep obsolete packages, choose to Keep the packages
If the above does not work, you may need to modify your settings:
- In Update Manager, click the Settings button, and enter your password to start the Software Sources application.
- Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources application.
- Ensure that the “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:” option is set to For long-term support versions .
- Close the Software Sources application and return to Update Manager.
- Install update-manager-core if it is not already installed:
sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
- Launch the upgrade tool:
- Follow the on-screen instructions. When prompted to
- configure unattended-upgrades, choose keep the local version currently installed
- delete or keep obsolete packages, choose to Keep the packages
Upgrading Nx Witness
- Once your upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is complete, check to see if the Nx Server application is running. If the Nx Server application didn't start upon boot, open Terminal and enter the following:
systemctl enable networkoptix-mediaserver.service
- An authentication prompt will appear, enter your password and click Authenticate.
- Proceed to upgrade to Nx Witness 4.0 through the Desktop client. To initiate the update go to Main Menu > System Administration > Updates tab and make sure "Latest Available Update" is selected.
- Click the refresh arrow to check for updates and install any updates it finds. If the installation gets stuck towards the end, close the client and re-initiate the installation.