Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator
Related Apps: Nx Desktop
What is Automatic Database Backup?
Starting from the 4.0 release, Nx Witness creates backup files automatically without the user’s involvement on a daily basis. Once installed, the Server application will check for a backup file and, if none are found, it will immediately create one.
The Server application will create daily backups of the System’s database until there are 6 days backed up. Once the number of backups reaches six the oldest backup will be deleted, and a new one will be generated.
Before creating a backup file, the Server application will also ensure that there is enough space on the system drive -- at least 10 GB of free space will be required. This rule is applied only for the cycling mechanism. There will always be at least one backup file.
How to restore from a Backup:
- In the Desktop client from the Main Menu ( ≡ ) select System Administration.
- In the General tab click on the Restore from Backup button.
- Locate the desired backup file in the relevant folders. By default the paths are:
- It will have the following file format: esc_<build_number>_<time_stamp>.db
- In Windows the .db file can be found here:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Network Optix\Network Optix Media Server\backup\
- In Linux the .db file can be found here:
- You will be prompted if you want to restore the database. Click Ok to restore the database.
- The database will be restored (this should be quick, but it may take some time depending on the size of the database).
- Once restored, a dialog with the message “Database successfully restored” will open.
- The server application will be restarted automatically.
- Click Ok to close the dialog.
- Click Ok to close the System Administration menu.