What is Nx Server API?
The Server API provides a standard set of HTTP calls for 3rd party systems. Using the Server API, developers have the ability to access nearly every feature available in the system's thick client, including but not limited to:
- query/manage system resources (servers, cameras, users)
- manage users and permissions
- pull live or recorded video out of the system
- generate events
- create rules
- control PTZ cameras, and more
How to use Nx Server API
Nx Witness provides documentation to help developers work with the Nx Server. All parameters and expected returns are listed.
The APIs are all under the RESTFUL standard, so developers are able to simply interact with Nx Server via HTTP by POST or GET request. No matter which programming language you use, you can always retrieve the data and integrate your system with Nx Witness.
How to access API Documentation
- Access API documentation in our public demo system:
- Find the API documentation when you install Nx Server:
Visit http://localhost:7001/static/index.html#/developers/api if you have Nx Server installed on your computer, otherwise replace the localhost with an IP address if the server is installed in the local network.
Testing the API
To help our users get started with Nx Witness, we provide a simple tool for you to test the API and view readable return data.
- Open your web browser and access the Web Admin interface.
- Visit the API trial page:
- On the page, you will be able to find the “API Testing Tool(new)” under the Server API section.
- Click the link of “API Testing Tool(new)”. You will then see the list of all server APIs, and you could click any of them to test and try the API.
If you have any questions related to this topic or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.