What is Storage Backup?
The Nx Witness Storage Backup feature allows users to back up archived footage from system servers to secure NAS, DAS, or even offsite cloud-based locations such as FTP sites.
- Backups can be executed in real-time or can be scheduled daily or weekly.
- Backups can be configured to backup captured high-resolution streams, captured low-resolution streams, or all streams.
- Backup can also be configured for specific cameras.
- Once a backup has been executed Storage Backup archives can still be directly played and access via the Nx Witness Client. For example, you might have local storage for 7 days footage and a backup storage for 30 days. If you backup your local storage once per week, you can still playback video from all backed up video.
To Configure Storage Backup
- Navigate to the Server Settings dialog by right-clicking on a server in the Resource Panel and choose Server Settings.
- In the Server Settings dialog choose Storage Management.
- Make sure you have added your storage location to this server.
- Choose the Use as Backup Storage link next to the path of the NAS/location you would like to use.
- Select the cameras you wish to backup and the Backup Quality
- Choose the Backup configuration - On Demand (aka manual), Real Time (aka redundant recording), or By Schedule.
- Press Apply and Ok to save.
* Each server only backs up archived recording from its own storage archive.
I.e. in the multi-server environment Backup Storage should be specified for every server in system in order to back up footage from all cameras.
Backup Types and Disconnect Scenarios
Real-Time – backup will be performed immediately: the footage will be written to the main and backup storage immediately and simultaneously.
- Previous data before this option applied will not backed up. If a real-time backup cannot be executed because of an unexpected failure (e.g. Backup NAS not running or network connection is dropped) the backup will be lost for this time period. Once the NAS or network issue is fixed the backup will continue backing up in real-time from the point at which the failure has been rectified.
By Schedule – backup will be performed on specific days of week and specific hours. The footage will be backed up since the last time backup finished (or since the very beginning if this is the first time backup occurs).
- If the backup process can't be executed or some unexpected failure(Hardware, Network...) stops the backup process, Nx Witness will tag the time, and restart from the position where it had been stopped. If the failure can be fixed on the scheduled day, then the backup will resume.
On Demand – backup occurs only if user presses Start Backup Now and continues until completion (that means all previous data is backed up) or until it's canceled. The data before you trigger this request will be backed up.
- If the backup process can't be executed or some unexpected failure(Hardware, Network...) stops the backup process, Nx Witness will tag the time. Next time, the backup will restart from the position where it had been stopped.