What is Live Video Text Overlay?
Live Video Text Overlay allows users to create custom text overlays as an Action in order to alert the Nx Witness System operators to critical events.
To use Live Video Text Overlay:
- Right-click on a camera in the Resource Tree and choose Camera Rules.
- Create a new rule, select an event, source camera(s), etc.
- In the Action column, select Show text overlay.
- Choose the targeted camera(s) on which to display the text overlay.
- Click Apply or OK.
Customize and Advanced settings
- Also show on source camera – If you want to see the text also displayed on the source camera, enable this option. For example, we set up a rule which if motion on Camera-1 is detected then displays text on Camera-2. If this option is checked, when Nx detects the motion on Camera-1, you will see the text on Camera-1 and Camera-2. Otherwise, the text will be displayed on Camera-2 only.
- Display text for ... seconds – If checked, the text will be visible for the specified amount of time.
- Use custom text – Users can type their own message to display, using basic HTML tags to customize the look and feel of the text.
If you have any questions related to this topic or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.
Hello Ichiro Liu
I would like to change custom text from text overlay functionality to new text per event.
Can I change the text when sending an http that generates an event?
Or, can i replace the contents of custom text description or caption in Requesting URL?
Hi Jeonghyeok Kim
My apologies for the huge delay in our response. Most likely time resolve the issue, but I would like to respond anyway.
If you want to change the custom text, you should create multiple rules, each with their own unique custom text.
Obviously, the event should be unique as well, otherwise you don't know which unique custom text you want to display.
A common event to trigger the action would be a Generic Event with custom Source and/or Caption and/or, Descriptions.
Thx for reply.
It was perfectly solved with the help of you and ICHIRO RIU. in the past
I received an additional email to answer my question at the time.
So there is no reply left on this bulletin board.
You answered me back then, and I leave it here.
Norman Graafsma (Network Optix)
Jul 24, 01:08 PDT
You can change the text overlay each time if you send an HTTP request to Nx Witness as a Generic event in the rules engine.
Just multiply the rules if you want multiple custom texts and add the right source and/or caption and/or description to the event rule.
Network Optix Support
Ichiro Liu (Network Optix)
Jul 26, 07:47 PDT
I have already provided the solution for you.
Please read the response in previous threads, I just paste here again.
Actually, the value or text on the caption is changeable.
You can configure the rules only catch only the source keywords and leave caption and description blank in the rules.
Then, while you are using the generic event, you just need to put the text you want in the caption and description, then the text will be brought into the event will be the same you assign in the URL.
In Nx Rules, select Generic Event, and only enter the keyword in Source, select the action Live video text overlay.
The URL you used to generate the generic event will be
Then you will see the content is changed, please try it.
Network Optix Support
Article is closed for comments.