Version 2.4.0 of Nx Witness introduced LDAP/Active Directory integration support.
Why is LDAP integration useful?
Integrating Nx Witness with an OpenLDAP or Active Directory system allows Nx Witness administrators to quickly integrate Nx Witness with an organization's existing user rights management platform. Using the LDAP feature in Nx Witness allows Nx System Administrators to:
- Link an existing LDAP-based system to Nx Witness.
- Fetch users from existing LDAP system in Nx Witness.
- Assign access rights to LDAP users in Nx Witness.
- Use existing LDAP user passwords to log in to Nx Witness.
Setting up LDAP Integration in Nx Witness
Follow the steps below to setup integration between an LDAP database and Nx Witness.
Step 1: Open the User Management Dialog.
- Click on the main menu button and choose System Administration.
- In the System Administration dialog and choose Users.
Step 2: Configure LDAP Settings
- Click on the LDAP Settings... button to launch the LDAP Settings dialog.
- Fill in the Server URL, Admin DN, Password, Search Base, and Search Filter for your LDAP server. If you are unsure how to fill in this information talk to your LDAP system administrator for assistance.
- To check if your settings are correct and you are able to establish a connection to the target LDAP server press the Test button. If a test is completed successfully you will see a note that says Text completed successfully: ## users found.
- Once you have successfully tested the connection press OK.
Step 3: Fetch Users from LDAP
- Click on the Fetch Users from LDAP... button to import users from the now connected LDAP server.
- In the Fetch Users from LDAP dialog select the users you would like to import by checking the box. If you are connecting to a large LDAP database you can search for individual users by typing in the filter search bar.
- Once you have selected all targeted users press the Import Users button.
Step 4: Enable and define rights for new Users.
- You should now see all newly imported users from the LDAP database in the User Management dialog. Before a user can begin using Nx Witness they must be enabled. Users imported by LDAP are not automatically enabled in Nx Witness.
- To enable a newly imported LDAP user press the edit icon next to the target user you would like to modify (it looks like a pencil) and open the User Settings dialog.
- In the User Settings dialog check the Enabled checkbox and configure the user's Access Rights.
- Press OK.
- Confirm the user now has check marks next to both LDAP and Enabled in the User Management Dialog.
- Press OK.
- And you're done - newly imported and enabled users can now log in to Nx Witness using their standard username and password from the LDAP system.
If you have any questions related to this topic or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.