What is Time Synchronization?
Time Synchronization is an important function in an IP Video Management System. Even when initially set accurately, the clocks might still differ after some amount of time due to clock drift, caused by clocks counting time at slightly different rates.
In Nx Witness, we provide the function of Time Synchronization. It aims to coordinate independent clocks in different Nx systems and make sure that all the system timestamps are the same.
How does Nx Witness synchronize time?
1. Online Time Synchronization (Nx Witness Systems with an Active Internet Connection)
If the Nx system can access the public Internet, then Nx Witness will use a combination of publicly available Time servers (such as Google, Microsoft, Time.gov, etc) to synchronize a system's time multiple times each minute if necessary. This standard time will be pushed to all the servers in the system, so the Nx Witness system will always have the same system timestamp.
2. Offline Time Synchronization (Nx Witness Systems in a secured LAN).
If the Nx system is deployed in a private network which is not able to access public Internet, Nx Witness allows users to assign a single server in the system to act as the local time server.While using offline synchronization, it is recommended that the selected server should ideally align its OS time to a local time server.
How to configure the time settings in Nx Witness?
1. Navigate to Main Menu button, select System Administration then Time Synchronization.
2. If you are using the Online option, then you don't need to do any change.
3. If you are using Offline option, you shall select one of the servers in the list.