Every Nx Witness license, when activated, is locked to the Hardware ID (HWID) of the computing device upon which it is installed.
What is a Hardware ID (HWID)?
The HWID is a unique 34-digit identifier (example:03000102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f) generated when the Nx Witness Media Server is installed on a Windows, Ubuntu Linux, or ARM device. The HWID is based on a combination of software and hardware of the computing device upon which Nx Witness is installed.
The following items are used to generate a unique HWID for each computer upon which Nx Witness is installed:
- MAC Address
After installing Nx Witness on a server any modification in the components above will result in a change of HWID and an invalidation of licenses attached to that device.
How do I find my HWID?
Step 1: Launch the Nx Witness Desktop Client.
- The Nx Witness Desktop Client is required - mobile or web clients do not have the ability to located licensing information.
Step 2: Go to System Administration
- In the Desktop client from the Main Menu ( ≡ ) select System Administration.
Step 3: Select the License Tab
- Select the Licenses tab on the System Administration dialog.
Step 4: Highlight a License installed on Your Target Server.
- Select a license attached to the server for which you want to see the HWID and License Details.
- Click the Details button.
- You should now see a dialog that shows the License Type, License Key, and Hardware ID.
- To copy the license information (including the HWID) press the Copy to Clipboard button.
If you have any questions related to this topic or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.