Which PTZ control modes are available in Nx Witness?
Nx Witness supports two different modes for PTZ cameras:
- Standard (ONVIF) PTZ
- Advanced PTZ
More information about these modes can be found in the PTZ Camera Configuration & Use support article.
While most PTZ cameras support standard ONVIF PTZ controls out of the box, many require manual calibration for the Advanced PTZ control mode to function correctly in Nx Witness. The Nx Support team will carry out the calibration procedure when requested.
How to prepare a PTZ camera for Advanced PTZ calibration?
Please take the following steps before submitting a request to Nx Support for Advanced PTZ calibration:
- Check with ONVIF Device Manager (ODM) that absolute move commands are available and work properly. If the camera is not working properly with the absolute move controls, Nx Support will be unable to calibrate the Advanced PTZ controls.
- Set some presets in Nx Witness and check if these presets are accurate and the camera moves to exactly the same position each time you execute the preset. If the presets are slightly off, but consistent, Nx Support can calibrate it, but Advanced PTZ will remain inaccurate. If the presets are inconsistent, we will be unable to calibrate Advanced PTZ.
- Configure and provide remote access to the camera through port forwarding. The Nx Support team must be able to add the device to their Nx Witness test environment.
- Ensure the camera has a solid internet connection with sufficient bandwidth and minimal latency available.
- No image distortion in the image is allowed (i.e. curved straight lines of objects: windows, street lighting, horizon, etc.). If the camera shows some image distortion, Advanced PTZ calibration cannot be done.
- Calibration results are best when the camera is set to view an outdoor scene and placed in a position that allows the Nx Support team to zoom in and out while keeping a single item in full focus the entire time. See the pictures below for an example of the ideal scene.
Zoom Out (widest view):
Zoom In (narrowest view):
Provide the following remote access credentials to your local Authorized Nx Witness Reseller for them to submit a ticket to Nx Support:
- The camera’s public IP address.
- The camera’s username and password (admin level).
- The external port (forward the HTTP and RTSP port).
Nx Support will check the ability to offer Advanced PTZ controls and begin the calibration process. Advanced PTZ calibration is a very time-consuming process due to how precisely it must be configured. Some patience may be required, and we request to keep the connection available until the calibration is completed.
If you have any questions related to this topic, or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.
Article is closed for comments.