Why do some Vivotek cameras go offline after updating to Nx Witness v4.1.0?
Some customers have notified the Nx Support team that some of their Vivotek cameras are going offline after updating to v4.1. The issue does not affect all Vivotek models and Nx has been proactively researching the cause of the issue. Below are the results of the investigation so far and how you can diagnose and address the issue if it is occurring.
What is causing the issue?
The issue occurs because some Vivotek cameras support only one ONVIF media service at a time. If ONVIF/media1 and ONVIF/media2 are requested by a 3rd party software at the same time, the camera responds unexpectedly.
Vivotek recommends to use media2 only, but in real world sites, many cameras being used today do not support media2. Nx Witness maintains backward compatibility by allowing for media1 to be utilized first and only use media2 if the camera is known to support media2.
Unfortunately, sometimes not every command is able to be executed correctly using the media2 service. This is a result of problematic camera firmware which reports support for media2, when in fact the camera does not support the media2 profile. As a result, the initialization of affected models is unsuccessful and the camera goes offline in a System
The issue is known to occur when the following conditions are met:
- Nx Witness v4.1.0 (Official Release and Monthly Patch) is installed.
- At least one of the following Vivotek camera models is in a System:
- FD9189-H (0121d)
- FD9380-H (0223d)
- IT9389-HT (0121)
- FE9391-EV (0121d)
- FD9360 (v0100 and v0223)
- FD8189-H (FW: 0121d and 2.2002.23.01d)
- Vivotek cameras have at least one of the following firmware versions installed:
How can I confirm that I have this issue?
Problematic cameras show a red cross on the camera’s icon on the Resource Panel and a “No signal” message and red cross when the camera is open on a layout.
Click the Diagnosis button and confirm the error message contains the following keywords: “AddProfile”, “GetProfiles” or “GetStreamUri”.
How to solve the issue
If your camera model is on the list of problematic cameras:
- Delete the camera from the system.
- Update Nx Server to the latest patch.
- Add the camera back.
If your camera model is not on the list of problematic cameras.
- Use either Nx Community (Integration Devices) or the Nx Supported IPVD list.
- In your community post or support ticket include the following camera information:
a. Vendor and Model as shown in your Camera Settings dialog.
b. Firmware version as shown in your Camera Settings dialog.
c. The error message from the Camera Diagnostics dialog. Sending the error message in text format is acceptable, but a screenshot is highly recommended.
- The Nx Support Team will get in contact and provide you with a configuration file (resource_data.json) to work around the issue for your specific model(s).
- Please update the server to the latest patch - 22.214.171.124405
Build Number: 32405 Password: h985lc
- Apply the configuration file (resource_data.json) to the system.
a. Remove the camera from the system.
b. Stop the Nx Server application.
c. Copy/paste the resource_data.json file provided by the Support Team to the following location:
C:\Program Files\Network Optix\Nx Witness\MediaServerFor Linux:
/opt/networkoptix/mediaserver/bin/d. Start the Nx Server application.
e. Add the camera back to the system again.
f. Please confirm if the configuration works for you. If it is successful in resolving your issue, we will add it to a future patch to make it part of future releases for each and every system.
How to stop/start Nx Server:
- Open Task Manager.
- Select the Services tab.
- Right-click on defaultMediaServer and select Stop or Start.
- Open Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T).
- Enter the following commands:
sudo service networkoptix-mediaserver stop
sudo service networkoptix-mediaserver start
If you have any questions related to this topic, or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.