Only Nx Witness Media Server can be successfully run in the virtual environment.
If somebody succeeds in launching the Desktop Client -- it is more like an exception. It is pretty difficult to properly set up video configuration at the virtual machines so that Nx Desktop minimal requirements are satisfied.
- Server will not start with the log file entries like below:
2017-06-09 15:12:06.945 704 ERROR: Can't save guid. Run once as administrator.
Solution can be found in related support article.
- It might take a lot of time to initialize shared NAS devices. It happens because of OS level calls delays. Nx team can not do nothing about it right now from the software side. As an option -- it is better to set up some pretty spacious local drive. It will be used for recording till NAS device is initialized.
- There is a slight chance that virtual machine will improperly report hardware information server requires to generate hardware id. It might cause license keys not being activated in the software.
This should be reported to our tech team when is faced.
- VMware Workstation -- Windows(7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012), Ubuntu(14.04, 16.04)
- VirtualBox -- Windows(7, 8, 10, Server 2008, Server 2012), Ubuntu(14.04, 16.04)
- XenServer -- Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04. Issues are very expected.