Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator
Related Nx VMS Apps: Nx Desktop
The Problem: Nx Desktop will not run on my machine
Typically this is not an issue but in some cases a need arises to launch Nx Desktop on computers with limited graphics options. A virtual machine (VMWare, VirtualBox) or a Server PC with limited graphics capabilities are typical examples where OpenGL 2.1 may not be supported.
The Solution: Emulate GPU (graphics processing unit) using the CPU (central processing unit).
To resolve this issue the Nx team has introduced a way to emulate necessary graphics functions over CPU which allows running client on any hardware set if Server is installed on any Windows x64 OS version.
- When using this method what you are really doing is transferring the computing load that would normally be done by a GPU (graphical processing unit) to the CPU. This will cause your CPU usage to go up significantly.
- We do not recommend using this method unless it is absolutely required.
- Remember to close the Client application as soon as you are finished to return your CPU load to normal.
- Download the OpenGL 2.1 emulation library (via Google Drive)
- Copy and paste the downloaded opengl32.dll file to the folder/directory where the Nx Desktop executable is located. Usually it's C:\Program Files\Network Optix\Nx Witness\Client\<Version number>
- Run Nx Desktop