Affected Roles: System Owner • System Administrator • Advanced Viewer • Viewer
Related Nx VMS Apps: Nx Desktop
What is Multicast Stream?
In VMS's that capture IP Video streams (from cameras, NVRs, DVR's, etc) streams are typically uni cast - which means that the camera or device encodes and delivers an stream (or streams) to each device that connects and requests video.
This is fine when using an intermediary media gateway - like the Nx Server - as the Nx Server application is typically installed on devices with good CPUs capable of handling multiple users attempting to view the same stream.
The Big Benefit: Because there is only one stream from the serving device regardless of the number of clients receiving the stream, a multicast stream requires the same amount of bandwidth as a single uni cast stream containing the same content. Using a multicast stream preserves network bandwidth and can be useful for low bandwidth local area networks. However, the network may require modification for multicasting and regular network traffic to coexist effectively.
How to add Multicast Stream in Nx Witness?
- Right-click on the server icon in the Resource Panel and select Add Camera.
- Enter the multicast IP. By default, a valid Multicast IP address should be in the range of 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.11.
- Specify authentication parameters in login and password fields.
- Specify discovery port if needed. Most cameras are discovered on port 80 (checked Auto box is recommended).
- Press Scan to initiate the search procedure.
- If located, the cameras will be displayed in order.
- Select desired cameras and click Add Selected.
- Cameras will be added to the Resource Panel.