When configuring a new rule in Nx Witness, you can choose to send an email notification as an action when an event occurs. Before you begin: you will be required to set up the Email Server from the Nx Desktop client application.
Below is a walk-through of the Email Server setup process using Gmail as an example.
To Set up an Email Server (Example with Google Apps):
Before you begin, make sure you have enabled less secure apps access on your Google Apps account. Then proceed below.
- From the Main Menu, select System Administration
- In the System Administration dialog, click on the Email
- Check the Advanced Settings checkbox to display all fields.
- In the Email field, enter the email address that will be used to send messages from the System.
- In the SMTP Server field, enter your SMTP Server
- For Gmail / Google Apps, this is smtp.gmail.com)
- In the User field, enter your username for your email service
- For Gmail / Google Apps, this is also your email address.
- In the Password field, enter the password you use to log in to your email service.
- Depending on your email server / service you can use either secure connections with TLS or SSL, or use an unsecure connection
- When you are done entering relevant information, press the Test button to test all settings.
- If successful, you will see a Result: Success message
- If not successful, check with your email administrator and contact Nx support if you continue to experience any issues.
- System Signature - this description will be included on the header of emails sent from the System to provide operators more insight into which System is sending the notification. (e.g. The demo system in Tony's office.)
- Support Signature - this will be included in the footer of email address and gives users a place to go for support if needed. System Integrators / Service providers can use this to direct their clients to their own website for support. By default, this leads to this support portal (http://support.networkoptix.com).
- Finally - After achieving great success, don't forget to click Apply and OK to save the new Email Server settings.
NOTE: The standard ports, like 587, are used for the SMTP Server address, however if you like to use a custom port, you can add the port number after the Server Address. For example: smtp.yourdomain.com:1234
If you have any questions related to this topic, or you want to share your experience with other community members or our team, please visit and engage in our support community or reach out to your local reseller.